Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Muddle

It was a busy weekend, with no sewing or crafting involved. On Saturday, we attended my nephew's college graduation. On Sunday, I was supposed to attend a baby shower for my niece, but she decided to make it her baby's birthday instead. Although several weeks premature, the baby weighed 6.04 oz. and is healthy. I was able to hold baby for a few minutes and boy is she cute. Of course, I am a very biased auntie.

I received an email from Emy notifying me that she received the handbag that she won in my giveaway. Emy is from Italy and only speaks a smidge of English. She doesn't have a blog, but has been a visitor of mine for quite some time. She was able to communicate the following:

"Hallo Arlette!!!! I have received todey your wonderful giveaway. I am
really happy, I never received a gift so beautiful!!!! You are very
generous and your jobs are perfect!!! I think that will use your
jewelry tote for sewing. I haven't blog, and I have enclosed the your
gift photo in this mail, if you want post it in your blog. Sorry for my
english!
Grazie Arlette!!!!!"

I am glad that you are enjoying your goodies, Emy. Here is the picture that she sent to me...


My nephew's graduation party is this weekend and I finally finished his card box. Sorry for the poor lighting as there was no natural light available when I took these photos.

This is a front view of the box. I used brown Kraft Paper, which is used for wrapping boxes for shipping. I cut the paper into strips and wove it to create a faux lauhala design.


Top view showing the card slot.


A side view.


Although creating this box takes oodles of patience and time, it was fun to make. For a girl's first birthday party, I can envision this made from a light baby pink pearl wrapping paper and tied with a printed pink bow topped with a rattle or other cute baby item.

On the diet front, I have lost 1-1/2 pounds this past week. I really thought that I had gained it all back because we went to Tsukiji's Japanese Buffet and I ate tempura until I about exploded. It was good, but I think that I had my fill of tempura for the time being.

I hope you are having a fabulous day.

Aloha!

18 comments:

Tolentreasures said...

Love the box, that is beautiful! The tempura sounds delicious! Have a great week!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Glad that Emy received her package. You have been busy creating all these great things! Congrats on the new little one in the family.

Unknown said...

Your box turned out so beautiful!! I just love it and can totally see it for a girl's 1st birthday just as you describe. Yay for the 1.5 pounds that is terrific! Keep it up, but no more tempura, even though it is oh so yummy!

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, I think your box it fabulous. It looks like a lot of work. You are apparently a very patient person.

Congrats on the new great niece.

Take care.

Kristin said...

Congrats on the weight loss and I absolutely love both the bag and the box. You are very talented.

Janine said...

This box is fantastic.
WWhat a great idea (again).
I think I try this one day.
Have a good day
Janine

Deb said...

That box is an ingenious idea! It came out so nice. I can definitely see that in different being used for all kinds of things. Hopefully the tempura doesn't do any damage on the weight front. Sometimes a good splurge is just what you need to stay on track!

lisanelsonart said...

Lettie, everything you make is so incredibly beautiful! You are very gifted in so many areas. Thanks for sharing!!

Sherri said...

That box is absolutely stunning! It must have taken a lot of time!

SG said...

Congrats on the new family member!
The box is fabulous!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

You certainly made Emy's day, Arlette. I can see why she was so excited! What a beautiful gift! i know she will treasure it.

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Zlaty said...

You have been busy Lettie! I love the special card box you made!

Happy crafting!

Zlaty

Lynn S. said...

LOVE the card box...is it your own design or is there a site to find directions or?? Congrat's on being a new auntie! Babies are such a blessing! Love your blog too..thanks so much for sharing so much with us all!

Stephanie D said...

So the secret to losing weight is to eat all you want? Gee, I should be Twiggy-thin by now.


I couldn't imagine how the box would turn out, but it looks great! What did he use it for?

Carrie P. said...

Lots of celebrations going on around you. The box you made is so cool.

Netter said...

I love your card box! I made a card box for my Sister's wedding that looked like a wedding cake. It took me forever to cover it in fabric and glue all the trimmings to make it look like it was decorated with frosting. It was multi layered and I got the stranges looks from people when I carried it on the plane with me.

Suze said...

Wow, the box looks like the real thing! You worked hard on it and it turned out great. Congrats on your weight loss! Keep up the good work!

Susette

Lorraine said...

What a wonderful idea. Your box is beautifully done. I love the kraft weaving. Keep up the good work with the diet. Slow and steady!!!