Friday, February 27, 2009

Tra la la la la, off to the boneyard we go.....

Do you remember Samantha from that silly 60's comedy show, Bewitched? A twitch of her nose would instantaneously make things happen for her. Well, I could sure use her powers at the moment.

I've been daydreaming for many months about new handbag designs. Ideas have been scribbled onto sheets of paper just waiting for their execution.

As anyone who is a "maker of things" can attest to, drawing something out and then actually making them are two different things. It can take quite a bit of time from the beginning of a design to it's completion. Measurements can sometimes be off. More times than not, it will often need a nip and a tuck somewhere. Sometimes it is scrapped altogether because things just don't turn out the way you had envisioned them. And sometimes they turn out just darn right hideous.



I don't know if you are familiar with the word, boneyard. It is an expression often used for a place where a large grouping of old and unused items sit, just one step away from making it to the junkyard. Well, after years and years of creating, I have accumulated quite a boneyard of my own. Many items labeled with the title, "What Was I Thinking?" sit in large plastic bags waiting to be recycled into something usable.



This brings me to the reason behind this post. I've had this idea in mind for quite a while and last night I finally decided to give it a go. It looked wonderful on paper, but now that I have transferred it to fabric, I'm not so sure. This is looking more and more like yet another item which will find it's way to the boneyard.


I've decided to set this aside for a bit while I ponder it's outcome. Maybe I can turn it into something else.

Where is Samantha when you need her?!?!

Have a nice day, everyone.

Aloha!

6 comments:

Sandra :) said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm while I know exactly what you mean by a project boneyard (as I've made quite a few projects that qualified as boneyard material!) the project you've posted looks rather intriguing to me - perhaps it didn't meet up with your expectations, but it may not be as bad as you think! Maybe you could post more pictures for us? It looks to me like a rather pretty tote under construction!

Carrie P. said...

I think we all have little boneyards. The yo yos are pretty.

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, I can't imagine any of your creations being boneyard worthy. I am sure you are just being too critical of yourself.

If you want to see boneyard material, you should come to my house.

Take care.

Stephanie D said...

Never heard it called that before, other than just a cemetery, but I know I've been there......

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Welcome back home, Arlette. Hope you had a nice vacation! Your little package is on its way to you. I wanted to wait until you returned to send it! I love your purse. You are so talented!

Stay Cozy,
Carrie P.S. I am having another giveaway...come and see!

Lorraine said...

Whatever it is you're working on, it sure looks pretty.