Friday, January 30, 2009

Tutorial---Tea Tote

**This tutorial is intended for personal use only.**


The long awaited Tea Tote Tutorial is finally here! This was a request from last year. Sorry for the wait and thank you for your patience.

Pattern:


I recommend that you use 2 coordinating fabrics for this project. Cut the fabric to the sizes indicated on the pattern.
Cut the outside and tab from one fabric, and the lining and pockets from the other.


For the tab:

With an iron, press tab in half lengthwise, wrong sides together.


Open the pressed tab exposing the newly made crease. Bring both ends up to the crease. Press in place.


Bring both pressed edges together, press flat. It should look like a piece of bias tape.


Sew opening closed.


At the half way point, fold one side up creating a 90 degree angle. Press in place.


Fold the other side up to match. Press in place.


Sew across tab, approximately 3/8" from the point. This will secure the tab and keep it from opening up.


The completed tab.


Lay the outside fabric piece onto a flat surface with the right side facing up. Place the tab in the center along one of the 3-1/2" sides, with the wrong side of the tab facing up. Pin in place.


Sew tab in place.


For all 4 pockets:
Fold in half. (Bring both 3-1/2" sides together) Press.


For the lining:
Place right sides together. Pin in place on one of the 3-1/2" sides.


Sew the lining together using a 1/4" seam, leaving 1-1/2" open in the center for turning.


Press seam open.


Putting the tote together:

Place the outside piece onto a flat surface, right side facing up.


Place the short pocket pieces on each end with the folded edge facing toward the center.


Top with the long pocket, folded edge also facing toward the center.


Place the lining on top of the pockets with the wrong side facing up. Pin all layers together.


Sew completely around all 4 sides using a 1/4" seam.


Clip corners, turn right side out through the opening in the lining.


By hand, sew the opening in the lining closed. Sew on a button to the outside approximately 1/2" from the edge on the opposite side of the tab.


Fill the tote with tea and sweetener packets.


The completed Tea Tote.


Make a Tea Tote for all of the tea drinkers in your family. I know that they'll love and appreciate it as much as I do.

Aloha!

17 comments:

Yvette said...

This is a great idea!

THANK YOU!

Netter said...

Goodness! I've been away to long....look at all the fun stuff I missed. I love this tea tote! I'm making one for Katie and one for myself, as soon as I get Satan to behave...and by Satan, I mean my sewing machine. It hates me right now. We have a love/hate relationship.

patchwitch said...

hello Arlette
this blog seems very enjoyable and also a clever blog! :D I am happy I found you!

Unknown said...

Love it! Great for Stephanie's tea time swap.

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, another great tutorial!!! I definitely have someone in mind for this little gem.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Take care.

Tudy said...

That is so cool. I am not a tea drinker but I have a lot of friends who are. It will make a cute gift idea for me to make for them.

I love all your tutorials.

I had many nice comments on the purple flower from your tutorial that I put on my sweater pillow.

SG said...

You are turning in such a great teatcher! Thank you!

Threeundertwo said...

This is another great gift! Thanks for the tutorial.

Clare said...

This is great - and I especially like the ladybug fabic. I am going to make one of these for my mom. Thanks for the tutorial!

emy said...

Thank you so much!!!!

Carrie P. said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorials.

Marianne said...

I just made two this afternoon and plan to make several more for friends. I used Asian prints, and "antique" buttons. Just adorable. Thanks so much!

Suze said...

Thanks for sharing...great tutorial 8)

Katie said...

I love nifty little organizing things like this! [Got here by way of a link to your t-shirt yarn tutorial which I'm very excited about.] One sad note though, the link to the illusion wallet tutorial didn't work when I tried it. I got an error 500.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

This is my first time to your blog. I love your tutorial. Very easy to follow. This will be sweet Valentine's gifts. Thank you so much!

Amy said...

This is just what I needed for a swap I'm doing. I will be giving tea, but I wanted to give something more than just tea bags. Thanks!

BarbMed said...

do you have an email list for your blog to subscribe to? love your blog! thanks, Barbara