Friday, August 22, 2008

WIP Friday

I am flying the coop this morning to make my way to the fabric store. I have been putting it off for far too long. I'll tell you why.

I have a love/hate relationship with my fabric store (more like a warehouse). There are rows and rows of rolled fabric bolts stacked one on top of the other, 6 to 8 deep. Being a shorty, just barely 5 feet tall, the bolts of fabric are taller than me. I find it almost impossible to carry most of them because of their weight. If I want a bolt in the middle of the pile, or heaven forbid, the bottom, it most likely won't be going home with me. Looking for help usually proves futile because the employees are always so busy. In as much as I love their selection of fabric, suffice to say, I don't make my way there very often. I always leave sweaty, tired, and frustrated.

I've been cutting piles of fabric, doing little to no sewing, and have nothing completed to show you. I'll leave you with a sneak peek of some work in progress. I know, boring.


As usual, I'll be spending my weekend in the craft room, wielding a scissor and rotary cutter like a mad woman. My family knows to steer clear or they'll end up as part of my project. j/k

Wish you all a beautiful weekend.

Aloha!

7 comments:

Rowena said...

You know Lettie, even if you haven't done any sewing it still looks like a ton of work cutting stuff. I mean, you use more muscle to cut instead of inserting fabric to be stitched together...by a machine!

I can't wait to get my hands on some fabric stuff when I'm back. :-)

Stephanie D said...

Well, I don't know what you're working on, but I know I love the fabrics!

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, your blog is never boring even if all you show is a sneak peak. What I see is a collection of beautifully coordinated fabrics painstakingly cut and perfectly stitched back together waiting for you to finish another of your wonderful creations.

Cathi said...

The fabrics all look so pretty! I can understand what you're talking about with the fabric shop. There is one vendor at our Creativ Festival who has bolts and bolts of fabric and unless one is taller than I am and very strong, one just has to forget the upper shelves altogether.

Annette said...

For me, looking at fabric is never boring. Instead it is inspiration. You have some beautiful pieces of fabric. Thanks for sharing.

Lilly said...

The fabrics for your WIP are so pretty. I will be looking forward to seeing what you make with them. I have a pair of little sissors like those and just love them....

crafty diane said...

Thank you for the very nice comment. I, too, tend to keep lots of stuff. I am definitely a pack-rat! My husband fusses about it alot. Telling me I need to get rid of some stuff! I tell him, love me, love my stuff! I just couldn't believe the cost of the shipping you had to pay for the ultra-firm interfacing! I wanted to ask you. Does it say ultra frim interfacing on the bolt or is it the same thing as Peltex? I still have not decided what I like to use in my handbags. I have tried several things over the years. I am in the process of making handbags for my daughter and myself. I have some fusible fleece that I am thinking of using for them. I have used it before and it worked well. What do you think?
Blessings,
Diane